Black mold in bathrooms is not just unsightly. It is also deadly. S. chlorohalonata, or toxic black mold, actually affects the quality of indoor air and can be the root cause of many respiratory ailments. Constant exposure to this type of mold can lead to lung and nose bleeding, headaches, and nose and throat irritation. If you’re also experiencing unexplained hair loss, eye irritation, rashes, and sudden allergies without any visible cause, chances are your home has toxic black mold.
What causes this unwanted fungus in your home? There are a number of possible factors, including faulty indoor plumbing and building maintenance. Flooding and leaky roofs also cause indoor moisture, which in turn encourages dangerous molds such as penicillum, fusarium, and trichoderma to grow and spread in areas that are damp. Moderate exposure to toxic molds such as these can already cause chronic coughing, fatigue, or nausea; and in the case of constant and severe exposure, even death.
That being said, how can you discourage toxic black mold from wreaking havoc on your home and health? An ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure, so make sure to regularly inspect your bathroom tile grout for the presence of mold and to wipe it off as soon as you detect it. Make sure to prevent moisture build-up in your bathroom, and if you discover a widespread infestation, to consult a professional to address the problem.
You can also turn to common household cleaning agents for immediate relief. Bleach, ammonia, vinegar, the juice of lemons, and baking soda can be sprayed onto the affected areas of the home, allowed to sit for a few minutes, washed with water, and then thoroughly dried afterwards.
For more information on what to do if you suspect that you’re living with toxic black mold, consult this new handy infographic from Glass Tile Store.